The Kulturfabrik is a cultural centre located in the heart of the Greater Region, in southern Luxembourg, in Esch-sur-Alzette, in buildings which used to house the municipal slaughterhouse. Covering 4,500m2, there are two performance venues, a gallery, a cinema, a brasserie, a bistro, and several rehearsal rooms. The Kulturfabrik strives to be a socially committed meeting place, open to all sections of the general public, to performers, to artists and to associations. Its programming is eclectic and includes concerts, festivals, theatre, cinema, educational projects, literature, artists in residence, and so on.
Highlights: Kufa’s Urban Art Esch, FlamencoFestival Esch, Festival du Film Italien de Villerupt, Out of the Crowd Festival, Festival «Clowns in Progress»…
The Kulturfabrik is a non-profit association (ASBL) with officially recognized charitable status and is supported by the Luxembourg Ministry of Culture and the City of Esch-sur-Alzette.
- A 4500 m2 area with:
- Big concert & theater hall (850 standing/ 274 seated capacity)
- A small hall (250 standing)
- The “Ratelach”: a bar, to have a drink and hold lectures or other activities (up to 35 capacity)
- A cinema (Kinosch)
- A gallery of exhibitions/ Gallery “ Terres Rouges”
- An artistic residency place / Squatfabrik
- Six rehearsal rooms (for musicians)
- Three rooms for theater workshops, training and rehearsals
- A restaurant (Brasserie K116) (Tel: 26 17 59 74)
The Cultural Center KULTURFABRIK is located at the heart of the Great Region in the south of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, in Esch-sur-Alzette in the old buildings of a public slaughterhouse from the 19th Century.
- 1885 / 86- 1979: Public slaughterhouse of Esch-sur-Alzette
- From 1982: Squat of artists from the non-profit « Theater GmbH » who turned the warehouse into a space of rehearsal and performance
- 1983: creation of the non-profit organisation KULTURFABRIK
- 1984 -1995: All kinds of artistic and sociocultural activities
- End 1996: Signing of the agreement between the State, the City of Esch-sur-Alzette and the Kulturfabrik
- 2 October 1998: Official opening of the Cultural Center Kulturfabrik