Preparing for a move: our tips for getting organized
If the idea of changing one's place of residence can seem pleasant, the administrative requirements, among others, can sometimes frighten them. Editus.lu gives you some advice to guide you in the various steps to take during a move .
3 months before your move, consider:
- End your lease agreement . Check the length of the notice.
- Apply for leave with your employer.
- See who your friends and / or family members can help you during your move.
- Plan and carry out the necessary renovation work before leaving your old home.
- Order your new furniture . You have to consider delivery times in some cases.
- Indicate your change of address at the post office so that your mail reaches you (specify the date on which your mail must be sent to your new address).
- Cancel your contracts made at the old address (telephone, internet, television, electricity, newspapers and magazines, etc.).
- Do the necessary with the administration for the delivery of your trash.
- Find a new tenant for your old home.
2 to 3 weeks before your move, consider:
- Arrange for the transfer of property between the old and new occupants of the dwelling .
- Update your standing orders and direct debits.
- Raise your meters and discuss heating bills with the landlord.
- Reserve a parking space in front of your residence in order to be able to park a truck or a van on the day of the move.
- Photocopy important documents in case of loss during the move.
- Plan boxes to pack your things .
- Have a tool box with everything you need for the assembly and disassembly of your furniture.
- Carry out the necessary renovation work before returning the keys to your old home.
1 week before your move, consider:
- Consume foods that are in your fridge and freezer.
- Close the doors of your cabinets and drawers. Seal and secure each associated key in the drawer or closet door.
- Buy garbage bags, and be sure to empty the garbage cans.
- Send reminders to people who have volunteered to help with the move .
- Provide plates and disposable cups to avoid having dishes.
1 day before the move, consider:
- Defrost your refrigerator .
- Set up a first aid kit in case one of the movers gets injured.
- Reload your mobile phones so that you are always reachable on the day of your move.
- Organize the different stages and assign missions to the people who have offered to help you .
- Withdraw money (to order pizzas on the day of the move, for example).
- Prepare a bag or suitcase containing the things you will need to spend your first night in your new home.
On the day of the move, consider:
- Check your meters one last time and, if possible, take a picture.
- Delete your name from your old home, and add it to the new one.
After the move, think about:
- Restore the materials and tools borrowed during your move.
- Collect the deposit of your old home , after going around with the owner.
- Take the necessary steps to register at your new place of residence.
To be sure you do not forget anything, do you want to hire a professional? Do some research on Editus.lu, and find your mover . The latter will make you benefit from his experience and guide you on the different stages of your move.